DC/DC modules from MPS
Higher demands on system-efficiency are making life hard even for LDO solutions often used in the extra-low voltage range. An efficient alternative is the use of a switched DC/DC-converter.
Solutions with DC/DC-ICs are economical and effective, but they need a certain amount of external circuitry, and in particular a properly adapted coil. The layout needs to be carefully considered too, since in most cases switching frequencies between 500 kHz and 4 MHz are used.
Complete DC/DC modules for print assembly are in most cases too expensive and consume too much space.
For this task the MPM-modules from MPS are designed. Thanks to the integration of a high-performance DC/DC-IC and optimized adjusted coil in one small SMD package only a few external components are needed: two capacitors and, if necessary, a resistive divider to adjust the required output voltage. The first generation of MPM modules covers the input voltage range from 5 V (2.7 V to 6,0 V). Besides the already existing 0.6 A and 1.2 A modules two new modules are particularly interesting, the MPM3820 and MPM3830 with 2 A respectively 3 A of output current.
The most important parameters at a glance:
- 2.7 V to 6.0 V input voltage
- Output voltage fixed or adjustable from 0.6 V on
- Synchronous COT DC/DC converter with integrated coil
- Excellent efficiency, also at light load (70-90 %, depending on the output voltage)
- 100% duty cycle in the event of dropout
- Low Iq (<40µA)
- Total space consumption only 8.5mm x 4.5mm
- EN pin and Power-Good signal